New Workshop: Matching Wine and Food for Weddings
We are delighted to announce the first workshop for 2013 and a brand new topic for the UKAWP, namely wine tasting. The event is kindly being hosted by Dominique Douglas of Stylish Events, a UKAWP member and her husband, Dan, at their home in Canary Wharf.
As wedding planners, we are often asked by clients to attend the catering tasting for their wedding. Clients seem to rely on us to know quite a bit about wine and in particular matching the food with the wine. As well as learning more about wine this will be a social and fun evening with fellow wedding planners.
At this interactive workshop we will be guided by a professional wine expert, Giles Smith Walker, on what to look for when matching the wine with the wedding menu.
Date: Thursday, 7th February 2012
Time: 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm
Where: 18 Regatta Point,1 Manilla Street,LondonE14 8JZ
Nearest Tube: Jubilee Line or DLR – CanaryWharf
Cost: £55 members and £65 non members
To book: Complete our booking form here
What will you learn?
- We will try several lovely wines, to fit various budgets, and share our thoughts on what we like and what works with different types of food.
- We will cover food/wine matching in a deeper level than just fish and white wine, meat and red, by looking at the flavours of classic varieties, such as Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon.
- How to match the tastes of your Bride/Groom and their family and also find a wine that will appeal to most guests.
- How to select wines that can be kept for several years – if your clients are providing their own wine for their wedding day they may wish to consider wines that are worth keeping and drinking later as a reminder of their day.
- Understanding the volume of wine to order.
- How to find wines that will fit with your clients’ budget.
- There will be an “hors d’oeuvres buffet” served, so we can try some of the most popular menu choices for weddings with the wines. Therefore you may not want to eat prior to attending this workshop.
This is not a cheese & biscuits workshop, you will be sampling lots of wine and combining this with the hors d’oeuvres being served by Dan. You might not want to drive at this workshop! Space is limited so book early and don’t miss out on this amazing social and educational evening.
To book please complete our booking form here
Giles Smith Walker
Giles Smith Walker has over 14 years’ experience in the wine trade. It was a harvest in Champagne that ignited his calling into the trade and from working for a small family company Giles spent the next 12 years at Berry Bros & Rudd in retail, selling to private clients and managing the private and corporate hospitality department. In 2012 he set up his own company, The Independent Vintner .
Giles has a passion and knowledge in many parts of the wine trade. He works with private customers to source and select wines for their cellars and special events and advises on wine portfolios. He regularly organises and hosts wine events and welcomes any opportunity to share his knowledge.
He offers a personal service for any individual or company, whether it is helping choose an interesting wine for dinner parties and special events, organising and hosting a wine tasting, selecting wines for investment or storing and managing wine collections. Giles tailors his service to his clients’ exact requirements and offers impartial advice.
Giles has the WSET Diploma and is an active member of the Vintners Company, a Livery in the City.
Leave a Comment