Northern UKAWP Bridal Boutique Workshop
Whilst many people saw the eclipse across the UK recently, some of our Northern wedding planners were getting ready to attend a meet up at Bridal Haven in Tarporley, Cheshire to do what we do best, i.e. ‘talk about weddings!’ …and, on this occasion, how we could help brides select their wedding dresses.
Organised by Northern Regional Ambassador Andrea at Fabulous Day, we met up with Debbie and Olivia from Better Together Weddings, Emma Jane from Emma Jane Wedding and Event Management, Helen Eriksen and myself, Jayne from Truly Unique Days.
Bridal Haven is owned by Kate Elizabeth who opened up her bridal boutique in October 2012. She shared her passion for the British designers she stocks which include Lyn Ashworth, Sassi Holford, So Sassi, Stephanie Allin and a new collection called Stella York; she loves the short lead times, high quality service and fantastic designs these fabulous designers offer.
We found out about the amazing bridal experience that Kate offers all her brides; she offers an appointment only, one to one service so brides have the time to relax, enjoying a glass of Prosecco and some nibbles when they arrive and then can take their time browsing and trying on dresses. Who wouldn’t want to have service like that!
In addition Kate offers an alteration service, so any dress can be altered to fit each and every bride, whether they wanted to slightly change the design, add some design creations or simply alter the length and size.
We learnt about the difference between made to order and made to measure, and the likely cost implications.
Then our very own Emma Jane from Emma Jane Wedding & Event Management got to be our model to demonstrate some of the dresses, personally I think she enjoyed being the trial bride!
So what should a Wedding Planner advise his or her bride to do before going for their dress trials?
- It is best not to bring lots of people with you when dress shopping as this can distract you from finding the perfect dress and style for you. Bring 1-2 people with you who you can trust to tell you their opinion but allow you to make up your own mind.
- Try lots of styles of dress, you may be surprised about what suits you best and makes you feel bridal!
- If you have them, take your wedding shoes, this will give you a good idea of the length you will need your dress to be.
- Take advice about your wedding underwear and only buy after you have your dress.
- Be aware that most dresses in Bridal shops are a size 12-14 or bigger, so the sample dress may not fit, but the bridal shop can clamp your dress to show how it will look on you if you are smaller.
- If you decide on a corseted dress, then get whoever will be helping you into the dress to take a video of how to fasten this up correctly, they will need to practise the fastening of this!
What about Bridesmaid dresses at the Bridal Haven?
Kate Elizabeth has a collection of Multi wrap Bridesmaid’s dresses by Eliza & Ethan and Nicki Macfarlane, Olivia from Better Together trialled one the Eliza dresses which could be worn 22 different ways, is available in 20 different colours and fits up to a size 20, the perfect dress for all Bridesmaids!
As wedding planners, it was important for us to gain an understanding about the Pre-care and after-care of the wedding dresses and Kate gave us a master class in how to look after the gowns and some handy hints and tips about how to deal with any unfortunate incidents.
So after a jam packed morning we then got to meet and have an informal chat with some like minded people involved in the Wedding Industry , we met local suppliers Victoria Spencer of The Makeup Cheshire, Alex of Alexandra & Camilla’s, James Arnold of James Arnold Photography and Charlotte of The Little Potting Shed. With such a range of services, it was a pleasure to meet everyone and talk about their business.
And of course a planner meet up would not be complete without a Prosecco lunch! We ate at a modern, glamorous and contemporary Italian bar and restaurant called The Coast in Tarporley, a perfect finish to a great morning.
We love talking Weddings, making connections and, being part of the UKAWP just shows our commitment to the Wedding Industry. For more details click UKAWP.
Leave a Comment